Saturday, November 3, 2012

The adventure Beckons


I suppose I did fall victim to jet lag because it is now 6:30 am in Hong Kong and I haven’t been successful at trying to sleep for the past three hours. But the light in the sky is new, the mist is settled in the crests of the mountain, birds sing as the wind sends a cool chill through our village. We are staying in the New Territories, where it is very local and very little English is spoken.

Hong Kong is very beautiful- the perfect mixture of nature’s serenity and metropolitan wonder. We went to Nuen Long yesterday- we were the only foreigners I saw and our friend directed us to this place to get Chinese noodles for lunch. Seriously AMAZING! Way better than any pho I’ve ever had. The lady didn’t speak English and I don’t even know how to say hello in Chinese, so our conversation was reduced to pointing and facial expressions. And apparently, you don’t tip here. I LOVE the metro here!!!!!! La needs to catch up. And can I just say, free government wifi?!!!!!! #WelcometoHongKong

Kristine and I went to the clock tower by the sea and wandered the avenue of stars, but our favorite was this two-story starbucks where we sat enjoying the sunshine and breeze for hours over green tea frapps. Let me attempt to paint the picture: A soft breeze, the sun welcoming you like an old friend, the choppy sea is just feet away and across the harbor is the most expansive and dense skyline I’ve ever seen with name brands for the world to see. All the locals are well dressed below us tenderly sipping wines of all kinds. And speaking of well dressed, there are malls EVERYWHERE. And I thought the Us was a consumer society. Most people downtown have a louis vutton, Gucci or otherwise accessory.

It’s quite a romantic city with lots to do. Dim Sum is supposed to be this amazing dish to get here, not really impressed- the texture is too gummy. . Our apartment is soooo cute! I love coming back to it. And it’s just the first day!

No comments:

Post a Comment